Student Frequently Asked Questions

What is Fee for Service?

Fee for Service is a delivery method where the student studies purchasing their units as they go.

As a Fee for Service student, who will mark my work and how will I know if I am competent?
A qualified trainer and assessor will mark all of your assessments and will notify you of your competencies via email or phone. All assessments being sent via mail should be sent to PO Box 80 Blacktown NSW 2148.

Who is eligible for a Traineeship / Apprenticeship?
To participate in a Traineeship / Apprenticeship, a student must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident working full or part time in a service. The student must have the cooperation of their service.

What is the difference between a new entrant trainee and an existing worker trainee?
A new entrant trainee has begun their traineeship within 3 months of full time employment or 12 months of part time employment with their service.

An existing worker trainee has begun their traineeship after 3 months of full time employment or 12 months of part time employment with their service. Unlike New Entrant traineeships, the  Government does not fund REACH for Existing Worker Traineeships and therefore REACH must invoice the employer to cover the training costs. In most cases the incentives the employer receives from the Commonwealth Government will offset these costs.

Who is Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) ?

The Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (Apprenticeship Network) replaced Australian Apprenticeships Centres nationally on 1 July 2015.

The Australian Government is investing up to $190 million annually in the Apprenticeship Network to make it easier for employers to recruit, train and retain apprentices and better support individuals to succeed in the proven earning and learning pathway apprenticeships provide.

A total of 11 Apprenticeship Network providers will deliver support services to employers and Australian Apprentices* from more than 420 locations nationally, including in rural and remote areas.

Apprenticeship Network providers will provide advice and support services tailored to the needs of employers and apprentices throughout the apprenticeship lifecycle – from pre-commencement to completion – through:

  • Universal services for all employers and apprentices, providing essential administrative support, payment processing and regular contact; and
  • Targeted services for employers and individuals assessed as needing additional support to complete the apprenticeship.

New pre-commencement services including screening, testing and job-matching will be available to targeted clients to get the right apprentice in the right apprenticeship with the right employer.

New targeted in-training support services, such as mentoring, will help apprentices and employers at-risk of not completing the apprenticeship arrangement to work through issues and difficulties.

Apprenticeship Network providers can also provide assistance to individuals who may be unsuited to an apprenticeship to identify alternative training pathways.

To find your local AASN, please follow this link https://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/find-my-aasn/full-list

Can I change my employer once I have begun my Traineeship?
Yes, however your Traineeship will need to be cancelled and restarted with the cooperation of your new employer. REACH & The Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) will need to be notified of the cancellation to discontinue training & incentives. REACH will issue a statement of attainment for your units completed which can be used for credit transfer upon beginning your new traineeship.

As a trainee, will I get paid time at work to complete my assessments & learning?
Yes. You should be withdrawn from routine work duties, with pay, for a minimum of 3 hours per week for the purpose of undertaking formal training/learning/assessment activities. A trainee should contact REACH if they have any concerns regarding this time on.

I completed my Traineeship. Why haven’t I received my certificate?
You should allow up to 30 working days for your certificate to arrive in the mail. However if you have an outstanding enrolment fee or unsigned forms, this can attribute to your certificate being withheld. REACH will do all they can to contact you regarding these issues, however please feel free to contact a REACH team member on 1300 361 343 if you have any concerns.

I have been at my service for over a year, full time, completing my Cert III Taineeship. Does this mean I will need to complete my Diploma as a New Entrant trainee?
No. You will have 3 months from the time of your Cert III completion to roll over to a Diploma Traineeship to still be considered a New Entrant Trainee. However you will need to complete the Traineeship as an Existing Worker if you don’t enrol within this 3 month time frame.

Can I contact somebody else for advice if my trainer is busy?

Absolutely! Just call REACH on 1300 361 343  between 9am – 4pm Monday to Friday.

Can I suspend my Apprenticeship/Traineeship if I am sick or need to travel overseas?
Yes. However you will need to contact your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network and State / Territory Education and Training Department to have your training plan amended. REACH will be notified of the suspension and will discontinue training until your Apprenticeship / Traineeship recommences.

Can I extend by Apprenticeship/Traineeship if I am not able to complete it by the end date?
Yes. Under certain circumstances your Apprenticeship / Traineeship can be extended, however this process can take some time and applying for an extension should be considered as early as possible for the most favourable outcome. You should speak to REACH and/or your AASN if you are considering applying for an extension.

I’m having problems with my employer. Who do I contact?
If you are having problems with your employer, you should contact the local FairWork Ombusman


Employer Frequently Asked Questions

What wage do I pay my trainee?
For wage rates and conditions of employment go to www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au or call 13 16 28

Who do I contact if I have concerns regarding my Trainee?
Contact your AASN or State / Territory  Education and Training Department’s Traneeships website provides a wide range of information for new and current trainees.

Who do I contact if my Trainee needs help with their assessments?
The trainee needs to utilise their nominated supervisor at the centre or they can call their trainer direct. All trainees will receive their trainer’s mobile number. If they cannot contact their trainer they can call REACH and we will ensure that contact is made by the trainer as soon as possible

What is the difference between New, Existing & Employer FFS Traineeships?
New entrant Traineeships – employees who have been working in a full time capacity for up to 3 months or working part time or casual for up to 12 months

Existing worker Traineeships – employees who have been working in a full time capacity 3 months or more or working part time or casual for 12 months or more. (Only Cert IV or higher qualifications are eligible at this time)

Employer FFS Traineeships – funding is only provided by the federal government to the employer and there is no state funding to the training organisation, hence the employer is charged for the training carried out. This would usually not exceed the funding that the employer will receive

To check the eligibility of an employee to undertake a Traineeship, or whether you are eligible to receive incentive payments refer to Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) centre.

What do I need to do to apply for a cancellation, suspension, extension or early completion of a training contract?

In all instances, a request must be made directly to State / Territory Education and Training Department by completing the appropriate form. REACH should also be advised so that our records can be updated and our trainers advised so as to avoid unnecessary visits to your centre.



Translate »